1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Are Article Directories Still Worth It?

Discussion in 'Directory Submissions' started by 111kg, Sep 1, 2015.

1. 111kg New Member

111kg

2-3 years ago, when I started to do some SEO work for my websites, the article directories (at least the one that verified the content) were a good tool to increase the ranking of the website for certain keywords.

However, I've heard horror stories lately about people having their sites penalized for having do follow links on article directories. In your experience, are they still worth it?

2. SLTE New Member

SLTE

I'm not so sure anymore. Speaking strictly for Google, which is ever the major player, article directories don't seem to help your SEO as much as they used to, possibly because a lot of them exist solely to increase SEO value. Google these days tends to favour sites that focus on a single topic and then dig deep into the specifics rather than sites which cover a broad range of topics. I think that's why blogs tend to get so much traffic, and why web directories aren't often in top ten lists for good SEO anymore.

I could be wrong. I haven't submitted anything to a web directory in a little while. Main reason I'm here now is to see if there is any remaining value. Perhaps strategic placement with 'directed' directories would offset some of the negatives? If that makes any sense?

jewelraz likes this.
  3. 111kg New Member

111kg

I'll start an experiment, I think. I will start adding some old articles of mine (unique content, obviously) on some of the largest article directories and see if there are any effects, either positive or negative. If anyone is interested, I will post the results in a couple of weeks.

jewelraz likes this.
  4. Converse Active Member

Converse

Theoretically, I would think that if an article directory were well organized, with articles separated into topic categories, and had an emphasis on quality, publishing only well-written articles that are unique to that one directory, it would still do well. The problem is that article directories tend not to be any of these things, particularly in a climate where people tend to look at article directories in a poor light. If I don't believe that there is any value to an article directory, I am unlikely to take the time to submit my best work to them.

Site directories are experiencing a similar problem, but not to that extent, since more than ninety percent of the sites listed in a site directory are added by directory staff, whereas most, if not all, of the articles published in an article directory are submitted by people who hope to gain from it.

5. SLTE New Member

SLTE

In fairness, this is true of just about any website online. I bet ninety percent of websites created are either half-hearted, absolute tosh, or a combination of both. It largely boils down to the person crafting the website, or directory, or whatever you like, and how far they're willing to go to craft a quality experience for their visitors. If the end product is good, people will eventually take notice. If not, the site - like the majority - will slip into web obscurity. The problem with directories, as you say, is that they're often assumed to be filled with nothing but dross, and so they get the short end of the stick as far as services like Google are concerned regardless of their content. At the very least I bet it would take longer for an article directory to be taken seriously by Google's search algorithms than most other sites.

As a side note, I can't spell the word 'algorithms' properly on the first try. Ever.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

Other than occasional campaigns to weed out the trash, Google pretty much assesses directories like it does any other web site, even giving bonus points to some of the more established ones, since they rank well despite having little or no content beyond outgoing links. The best way to establish a directory is to look at it like a web site, and make sure that it contains content beyond outgoing links, and that the content is well organized and worthwhile. That content can be lengthy category descriptions, lengthy site descriptions, articles relating to the topic of a category, or pretty much anything else. If you're thinking of a directory as a script with categories waiting for someone to submit to, then you're right - it's not going to do well.

7. 111kg New Member

111kg

I beg to differ a bit. I don't have any evidence, but Google definitely knows all the major public sources of links. I think that it also depends of the niche. On a niche with a low competition, let's say "white Superman t-shirts for kids in Detroit" for example, having 2-3-4-10 links coming from places like ezinearticles.com won't hurt unless they are the single links for that site.

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

"Not hurting" and "helping" are not the same thing, however. I am not arguing that article directories are a bad thing, since people are usually wrong when they generalize about an entire niche but, for someone who was going to create a new article directory, the challenges would be great, since they are buried in so many crappy ones. That is true of site directories as well, but it can be done.

One of the points I'm trying to make is that Google doesn't hate site directories or article directories, but there is probably something in its algorithm that looks upon them with skepticism, given the large number of junk directories there are. But then, the majority of blogs are crap too, yet there is no evidence that Google hates blogs.

9. jewelraz New Member

jewelraz

The only reason I gave you a like coz I would like to see the outcome. I have read other replies but I am particularly interested to find out your experiment into this. Please share us the true stories.

10. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I did article directory submission too, but it's almost a year now since I stopped doing it.
    The reason is that, I don't see any benefits from it.
    Maybe because it is not effective on my niche, and the article directories where I submit my articles are not quality sites.
    Or, I just feel like these sites are just like online directories where people aim to just gain backlinks on it.

11. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

And never been any in a first place

:)

fastreplies

12. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

So, what can you say about your web directory?

13. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

I can say a lot but first:
    1. This is not my directory, I'm working for man
    2. You can visit it and learn more than I would ever can say
    3. Read this review

so, when you done, you'll know about AMRAY Web Directory as much as I do... almost

:)

fastreplies