1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Affiliate Products or Sell Your Own

Discussion in 'Monetizing' started by jdroc, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jdroc New Member

jdroc

Which method do you think is the best way to monetize? Selling your own product or using other people products?

I think it depends on knowing your audience. Personally, I would love to put out a product that makes money and helps people. Like one of those Udemy classes.

What do you think?

2. Billy New Member

Billy

Yeah, it would be nice, but to be honest, I'm so busy trying to get traffic I don''t have time to do something like that. Of course, on the bright side you wouldn't need to drive traffic, and could rely on other affiliates to do it for you. Or, you could build up an email list now, and in the future, when you've come up with something that you want to sell, you can offer it to your list.

3. jdroc New Member

jdroc

Yeah that's what I been focusing on. Building traffic to the website before the content is even on there. I just hope people subscribe to my email list. It's not one of those fancy ones. I've been targeting websites in my niche to do a guest blog post. Hopefully, their audience will like my content. What are some of the methods you've been utilizing to drive traffic?

I read this killer post yesterday about the need to drive traffic to your site before you even put up the content. It made a lot of sense. http://boostblogtraffic.com/make-money-blogging/ He also talks why you should use your own products. I think it would make a great read for you.

My goals are to rank the website I'm building right now. However it gets done. Then launch a local SEO startup. I've been researching some of the companies in my area and they really need help. I would love to start doing this now, but I think my own insecurities are in my way, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  4. toradrake Member

toradrake

The problem with "affiliate" products is that you have an over saturation of others who are trying to sell the same thing. This makes it more difficult for you to gain a good profit margarine. It's one of the reasons I wont use Amazon or Ebay when selling unless I have a product that has a low saturation rate.

Of course, marketing is a big factor in this and the type of product you are selling for someone.

5. jdroc New Member

jdroc

I think this depends on some other things outside of what you mentioned. If I trust you, I'll probably be more willing to follow an affiliate link from you as opposed to the many others you mention. I think of it has "pre-selling" the customer. As with the margins, there are none specifically, like putting out links to a hosting website. Maybe your time and the fees incurred to have your website up, but you don't actually have to pay for a supply. I'm not saying affiliate selling is easy, but if competition drove us out from opportunities, there would be no new business. Some markets are not over saturated for a reason. There is no money to be made in those markets.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

I have tried several companies through Commission Junction and other affiliate programs that I don't even remember now, but the only two that have produced enough of an income to justify the space they took up on my pages have been Amazon.com and AdSense, with far more coming from Amazon.com than from AdSense, although AdSense used to pay a lot more than it does lately.

However, I don't build sites for either of these purposes. Usually, I limit my pages to one AdSense block, of the size that allows for only one advertiser, and I add Amazon.com product links after I have built the site, choosing the products so that they serve as additional information about whatever that page was talking about.

Plus, if I am selling a book through Amazon.com that I have already read, I'll include my own review of the book, and I've found that even books that I didn't particularly like, and said so in my review, will nevertheless sell. When I haven't read the books, I'll reword the blurb that is found on the Amazon.com page, perhaps adding some additional information gleaned from the comments on Amazon.com or from the back cover or other parts of the book that may be available for reading on Amazon.com. This avoids the entire page being dinged by the search engine for duplicate content, and I think it makes people more willing to buy.

The idea is that if someone is reading my page because he is interested in whatever it is that I am talking about, they are prime candidates to buy a book offering additional information on the same subject.

Interestingly, when I have tried to sell books through Barnes and Noble or any other online bookseller, almost no one buys. I have even advertised books side-by-side, offered by both Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble, yet even when B&N has the lower price for the same book, people are more willing to buy from Amazon.com.

I don't make a fortune from it but I make at least a few hundred from Amazon.con each month, and have made in excess of a thousand on Novembers and Decembers, when people are Christmas shopping. I have a Bible site, and at least a half dozen time, churches have ordered pew Bibles through my Amazon.com affiliate, giving me a couple of hundred sales of the same book all at one time. If I can ever find the time to update some of the sites that haven't been touched in seven years, I could do better.

jdroc likes this.
  7. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

If you don't have any product of your own, then just go the affiliate route. There's no reason why you can't promote other products while developing your own. I have always wanted to team up with my friend to create a software, but it always doesn't push through. But affiliate marketing has always worked well for me. Amazon is my biggest earner. Like Converse said, you need to provide something of value to your readers. Linking to a related Amazon product wouldn't convert well if you just leave it like that. Personally, reviews and comparison tables have given me the biggest boost in terms of conversions.

8. Billy New Member

Billy

Buddy, I totally get where you're coming from. I've been thinking about doing this for years, and I have so many other marketing ideas for small businesses, besides selling SEO, but I'm intimidated by it. I have so many things that prevent me from doing it: a) rejection b) dealing with difficult clients c) taxes d) time needed to get clients. I keep telling myself that once everything is steady with my online business that I'll be confident enough to go offline, but it's been awhile.

9. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

I may not be in the position to say this, as I do not have an ultra-successful IM company. But the most important thing is to take that first step. This is what I remind myself every time something prevents me from reaching my goals. As my favorite commercial campaign says: Just Do It.:cool:

jdroc and Billy like this.
  10. Billy New Member

Billy

I totally agree with you, but I'm in a sort of pickle.

I'm focusing on one thing right now, and although it's not bringing in a lot of money, I'm focusing on it, trying to tinker with it, to get it to work. I feel that if I switch focus that all of the past work that I've been doing on the other project will be a waste, and I'll be starting over on this new venture from scratch. If my other project is successful, it will give me the time, resources, and stability, to start into the offline area. If that makes sense at all.

11. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

We all stumble upon such a phase at one point or another. With careful planning, you may get the answer you're looking for quicker than you know it. In any case, more success to you!

12. spikerfreelancer New Member

spikerfreelancer

jdroc has it right, the key to affiliate marketing is to find yourself a specific niche that hasn't been too saturated and then gear it toward a specific group. This way you have a higher probability of showing up higher in search engines. Just make sure to support your products with good content.

13. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Choosing an unsaturated niche doesn't cut it. Yes, it can help. But at the end of the day, it's all about how you set up your site, drive traffic to it, and convert that traffic to sales.

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

Build a site that is rich in content. Bring users in for the content that you have, and they will buy from you. It doesn't matter how many people are selling the same thing. On one of my sites, I sell far more books through Amazon.com than the author sells through her own site; she told me that.

15. Sparkster New Member

Sparkster

I think it really depends on what your site is based on, although I would say that selling your own products is always more advantageous because you're the only person selling those products (unless you start your own affiliate scheme of course). I've also found selling your own products to be more effective in my own experience. However, if your site is a site that publishes reviews of books, for example, then the books you are reviewing are obviously not yours to sell directly but you may be generating interest in them, so then you would want to use an affiliate network who is authorized to sell copies of those books. If someone sees your review and is impressed by the sound of the book (or product) and then they see an image and a link at the bottom of the review they're going to be more compelled to click on it and perhaps purchase it.

16. NathanG New Member

NathanG

I believe that if you have a good enough product to sell, then go ahead and sell it. Personally, I've never had anything that great that I can sell, so I'd be more on the affiliate marketing side.

But as @Converse said, "Build a site that is rich in content." This will help out one's site monumentally, no matter how pretty one's website is, if it does not have content, then it won't thrive. If your website is popular enough, then you can make a huge amount of money selling your product or advertising someone else's.

17. Scorp Member

Scorp

I believe that selling your own product is much better, simply because you get to keep All of the profits. And you can also setup your own affiliate program, small-scale, where people promote whatever it is you're selling and make commissions if they make any sales. At some point down the line you'll have a small army of affiliates driving traffic to your product/s, and you can then relax, a little...

Now, you'll probably say that you don't have a product to sell. The easiest way to get a product to sell as your own - legally - is to look online for PLR products. These are Personal Label Rights products that give you a permission to sell them. Note that there are various licenses for these products. So some may let you sell the eBook, but not edit it. Some may not let you sell it, but allow you to give it away for free (great for building your list). And then some will give you complete rights to do anything you want with them.

So now, you take an eBook where you have the right to do whatever you want with it, you re-brand it to make it Yours. Put your name in it, put your affiliate links in it, your website's URL, etc. And then sell it as your own...

I would also advise that you first read any eBook you're selling, to be able to write promotional content for it. However, more importantly maybe, you need to see if the eBook is still current, or if it requires you to change things in it in order to make it relevant and up to date. So it will take some work, but I believe it's much easier to edit existing content to bring it up to speed, than to create your own from scratch.

18. Rainman New Member

Rainman

If I could, I'd rather sell services on my site because I'd make more than ads would get me. There's one website for screenwriters [for example] which doesn't get a lot of traffic. At most they get 100 or so visitors a day. But they offer script consultancy services and even if only 5 of the 100 visitors they get opt to use their services . . .

. . . they charge $60 - $75 for "notes" written. Depending on the number of clients they have, on a good day one can make more than $300 every day. How much traffic would you need to make that kind of money from ads?

However if you don't have your own products then you have no choice but to be an affiliate. Promote the products of others and earn a commission.

Billy likes this.
  19. Billy New Member

Billy

I knew a guy who was doing something similar a few years back with Fiverr. He'd resell the $5 gigs for $20 and was making a good chunk of change. Basically, it's arbitrage, but once a site becomes as popular as Fiverr is currently, it doesn't make it quite as effective.

Scorp likes this.
  20. starlight22 New Member

starlight22

I think selling my own product would be the best way for me. In the past back when I was in school a long time ago I created jewelry and candles for the school store and did well selling them. It was fun making these crafts and I may do this again one day. I'm definitely into the arts and there are many ways to work from home doing crafts.