1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

2014 top 10 web directories

Discussion in 'Directory Reviews' started by toradrake, Dec 31, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

First off let me congratulate Web Directories Review for coming up #'s 1 and 2 under the search query 2014 top 10 web directories in Bing. Outstanding. I just want to show a list of the top three of the list with my little take on them from a visual stand point. FYI when I did searches to test them I used the query forums for all of them because it was the easiest one to use.

#1. Directory Journal - If I had to choose a list of favorite directories, this would be one of my top ones. So it is not surprising that this ended up #1. I love how clean and easy to distinguish information on this site is. There are distinct lines that allow you to see one thing from another without them blending together. There are not a whole lot of distractions and such on the page and it loads quickly for the user. The search was quick and again, the page was clean and easy to read. The listings did not blend together and were relevant to my search as well as the listings were noticeably looked after rather then just put up as is.

#2. Aviva - Another one of my favorites. This also is very visually pleasing. Everything is laid out so that it is easy to distinguish one listing from another and results of search brought up well thought out listings. I noticed that all the listings I saw (well majority of them) had descriptions of only two sentences. Funny part was that the lister or editor made the sentences pretty long for some and short for others.

#3. BOTW - This site is very basic in design, but they make up for it in easy to read and distinguish results. Their one sentence descriptions though can make it a bit difficult to really understand what the site is about while at the same time makes it easier to read. Would be nice for them to move away from the basic old school design, but their clean look makes it not necessary.

Anyway, that is my assessment as a user. Go to the actual review if you want a more in depth review of the directories. Top 10 Web Directories for the Third Quarter 2014

Converse likes this.
  2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I'll be a day or two late in assembling my top ten this quarter. I am away from home and, although I brought my computer, I had packed my keyboard and trackpad in another container and forgot them at home, and couldn't find one yesterday. Now I have to finish my paid work week before I can complete the couple of reviews that are yet to go. Thank you for your comments. I'd love to hear from others.

In the case of Aviva Directory, it is a matter of a change in standards. They began, like so many others, using brief sentence fragments, and have now moved toward longer descriptions. But once you get a hundred thousand of listings in, it's difficult to go back and change them all, while continuing to move forward, so they are improving old descriptions as they come across them. For example, if a category is rearranged, the descriptions of the sites in them will be improved. The same is true of category descriptions, although there is more of a concerted effort to build them up.

BOTW is huge so changes are more significant. During their last change in design, they lost all of their category descriptions (which they once had, and were encouraging editors to lengthen). I don't know if that was a glitch in the design change or a management decision.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

Now that I can understand. I can image it would take a lot of time to correct things if you retain a lot of sites and not a lot of editors.

One significant thing I want to note, I have seen a lot of reviews about directories and it appears that DMoz is dropping in the ranks. Has anyone else noticed this to?

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

That's why it's so important to do things right from the beginning.

There was a time when web directories were given extra points by the search engines, since the search engines used them, at least in part, to determine which niche a directory belongs in. I think that still plays a part with the larger, more established directories like DMOZ, but search engines are getting better at determining that stuff on their own, so some of these extra points are being withdrawn. leaving web directories to stand and fall by the amount of content they have, as well as their age, back-links, and everything else that other webmasters have to worry about. DMOZ has age, it has authority, and it has a ton of good back-links and other authority back-links, but it doesn't have much in the way of textual content beyond its help files, since its category descriptions are templated and not particularly informative, and the directory has deliberately kept site descriptions at the minimal content level.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

So do you think that DMoz will slowly decline until it fizzles out then? I have seen a few minor changes in DMoz in the past couple of years, but I don't see to much in the way of staying power for them since they are declining as it is and they are not changing to keep up.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

I don't see them being fizzled out by the search engines. They'll lose a couple of points but then stabilize as long as they continue to be an active directory. What I see as more likely possibilities is that they may no longer be able to retain enough active volunteers to add new content to their directory. They are already very behind in submissions but, in the DMOZ mindset, that's not a problem, as long as its editors are adding sites that help to grow the directory. Since it is too large to scan accurately, I can't tell whether they're getting larger or smaller. I know they are doing a much better job now of ridding their directory of bad links than they are a couple of years ago, so they lost a lot of links when many of the bad ones were removed, but I don't know how many new ones are being added.

The other, perhaps more likely, possibility that I see is that AOL will decide, at some point, to close it down, or that AOL will be bought out by another company, like Yahoo (which has made overtures toward buying AOL a few times over the past few years), which will then close its directory down.

7. MR. HTML New Member

MR. HTML

Nice article, I will defiantly be submitting my site to these directories. In my opinion, however, it would be useful if you listed the PR of the sites in your review.

8. toradrake Member

toradrake

Sorry about that. I would add it but I can't edit anymore, past time. However if you click on the link that is on the thread for WDR, their page has the PR. Also at the bottom of this page is links to the sites as well under 1-5 next to About US.